Fake Tan Tips: 5 Steps to Getting the Perfect Golden Glow
Whether you're new to fake tanning or you're a #ThursdayTanDay veteran, things can still go wrong from time to time when you're trying to get that golden glow. So we're here to bless you with our tried and tested fake tan tips.
Don’t get us wrong, if you’ve been blessed with fair, alabaster skin - embrace it! But let’s be honest, there is nothing that a deep, fake tan doesn’t fix. But it’s super important that it’s done right or it can turn out pretty bad. Say no to patchy, orange tans!
We're sure the fake tan gurus already know some of these tricks but we can promise that if you follow all these fake tan tips, you'll have that absolutely perfect tan in no time.
Top self-tan tips:
5 fake tan tips that you need to try now
This is truly the golden rule in getting a golden glow - but also the step that people tend to skip the most. We know it can be annoying, but it's really important to scrub away any dead skin at least a day before you apply your tan. 24 hours is optimal timing for a good exfoliation - and shave - just so you can give your pores time to close before you apply the tan.
Exfoliators we love:
- SOJO Coffee Scrub - a recycled cold brew coffee scrub infused with wild orange essential oil. Rubbing it in circular motions can help remove the dead skin, leaving it smooth and ready for fake tanning.
- J Bronze Exfoliating Body Mitt - we love this mitt for its simplicity. It buffs away dead skin cells, leaving it silky smooth. All you need to do is wet it, squeeze out any excess water and rub your skin in a vertical direction.
- Pixi Rose Body Polish - this little body polish is the perfect mix of physical and chemical exfoliant - it features sugar as the physical element but also uses a gentle blend of lactic acid and fruit enzymes to gently exfoliate and brighten your skin.
2. Remove old tan
This step kind of goes hand in hand with the first step - if you're exfoliating properly you should be removing your old layer of tan as well. But we've had to add this fake tan tip in because we know a lot of people simply layer their new tan on top of their old one - and that just guarantees a bad result. Plus if you’re an avid fake tanner, exfoliating alone might not do the job of removing your old tan thoroughly enough. Trust us when we say a clean base layer makes all the difference. Not sure how to remove fake tan? Check out our recommendations below.
Tan removers to try:
- ModelCo Tan Remover Exfoliating Soap - this cult tan remover soap is like step 1 and step 2 combined in one. It has natural pumice which will almost instantly remove self-tan streaks, stains and build up plus buff away any dead skin. This fake tan remover is also infused with goat's milk to soothe the skin.
- Bondi Sands Self-Tan Eraser - another iconic product and a must-have for any self tanner, this eraser will remove any fake tan in just 5 minutes. Plus it moisturises and exfoliates your skin as well.
Straight after exfoliating, we'd recommend lathering on a rich moisturiser to re-hydrate the skin. While some people wouldn't recommend moisturising before tanning, we've found that little bit of body lotion goes a long way - especially on notoriously dry areas like your elbows, knees and ankles - in helping the tan sit nicely.
Moisturisers we love:
- Pure Fiji Hydrating Body Lotion - Coconut Infusion - not only will your skin be super hydrated thanks to a nourishing blend of cold pressed coconut oil, dilo, macadamia and sikeci oils but you'll also smell like a tropical holiday. This is the one we like to put on the day before because it has oils in it.
- Bondi Sands Body Moisturiser - made by the tan giants themselves, this moisturiser is perfect for tanning day skin hydration. It's enriched with vitamin E and jojoba, and it will leave your skin super smooth and ready for the tan.
Self tan tip: Do NOT use a body oil - before or after - your fake tan because it won’t stay on the skin and will fade the colour.
4. Choose the right tan formula for you
While a tanning mousse seems like the perfect all-rounder, there are so many different formulas to try and test to see what works best for your skin. But whatever self tanner you end up choosing, it's always best to apply fake tan with a mitt if it's a rub-on formula and always use circular motions for the most even application.
Tan formulas we love - and for you to test out:
- Bondi Sands Self Tanning Foam - Dark - we couldn't write a fake tan tips article without mentioning the award-winning, holy grail, Kylie-Jenner approved tanning foam, right? It’s super easy to apply - their tanning mitt is a revelation - and it’s not messy at all! People have also been loving their quick-dry Aerated Tanning Foam formula as well.
- Minetan Bronze Babe Personal Spray Tan Kit - this one is for the real tan addicts - your very own spray tan machine, Australia's best too. It's easy to use, no mess and gives you the perfect tan every time. It comes with the Absolute X20 Pro Mist which features melanin activating intensifiers to deliver a deep rich tan. Discover the best spray tan machine Australia offers now.
- ModelCo Tan Jelly - the best thing about the tan jelly - apart from the super smooth formula - is that it has no instant bronzer so that means no residue on bed sheets, towels or clothing. If that wasn't enough, it does give an amazing natural looking golden glow. Plus the jelly is infused with coconut oil and vitamin E to keep your skin soft.
Self tan tip: A great option for tanning your face is the revolutionary Minetan Nano Mist Tan Compact Spray. The tan compact evenly spritzes your face with a non mist that is both a self tan and a facial moisturiser.
Self tan tip #2: Three words: tanning back applicator. Say goodbye to a patchy back and asking your boyfriend/bestie/sister/mum for help. A tanning back applicator makes a self tanning routine much easier!
So if you follow all the above fake tan tips, your faux glow should last you a good 7-10 days but some extra maintenance will guarantee a longer life for your fake tan. Daily moisturising will definitely help, so slather some on after your hot shower. But we also highly recommend a gradual tanner, which is usually a hydrating moisturiser infused with a little bit of fake tan. They are also great to use on their own even without the fake tan layer to help give your skin some natural radiance.
Gradual tanners to try:
- Sunescape Gradual Tan Extender - featuring naturally derived tanning agents, this all-in-one gradual tanner and moisturiser will extend the life of your tan and also nourish your skin with coconut, macadamia nut, avocado and argan oils.
- Bondi Sands Everyday Gradual Tanning Milk - apply this everyday in a circular motion and you'll keep that golden glow going for a lot longer. It's also pumped full of vitamin E and aloe vera to help soothe and smooth your skin.
It's time to put these fake tan tips to the test
Okay so now you know how to apply fake tan, it's time to put our tips to the test. You won't regret it - we promise! Shop all our tanning recommendations above plus body & bath care products to go with them on Oz Hair & Beauty today.
If you liked this, you might also like:
- The Best Fake Tan: 5 Self Tanners We Really Love
- The Spray Tan Machine That Will Give You The Perfect Golden Glow At Home
Did you love this post? There's much more where that came from! Read about all things hair and beauty including the best skin care products for healthy skin, how to grow out your hair and the best purple shampoo for blondes. Find all this and more on the Oz Hair & Beauty blog today!
People also asked:
Do you use body wash after body scrub?
Definitely! If you’ve used something like a coffee scrub, the grounds can settle into every nook and cranny. Once you’ve exfoliated your body, use your fav body wash to wash away the leftover scrub!
Yas! But because it doesn’t have any aluminium, it won’t stop you sweating, but it will keep you fresh as a daisy.
How do you use tan water?
If you’re applying the tan water to your face, you can apply it like you would a toner. If you’re applying it to your body, you can just use your hands and apply it like any other instant tan!